RYA Day Skipper Theory
RYA Day Skipper Theory course run at Bowmoor Sailing Club.
You can see a full list of course dates, as well as information about minimum participation numbers, in the description. The course is booked on a first come, first served basis.
RED DATES indicate that a course is full.
- 2023 Dates are to be confirmed. If you are interested please email Nigel Fletcher.
Booking are only taken online, so it is first come first served. There is a strict limit of a minimum of 8 and maximum of 12 places, so the course will not run if there are less than 8 bookings. It will be taught face to face in the clubhouse at Bowmoor, but the club reserves the right to move the teaching online if circumstances change.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day and is therefore essential if you are planning to do your Day Skipper practical course. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising. No previous knowledge is required, but we do cover a lot of ground, so if you are new to sailing larger boats, please ensure you put all the dates in your diary, as you will be expected to catch up with anything you may have missed. All students will have access to a dropbox so they can catch up with any slides and exercises.
Course topics include:
• the basics of seamanship
• the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
• electronic charts
• position fixing
• plotting a course to steer
• weather forecasting and meteorology
• collision regulations
• construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
• emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
Please get in touch with Nigel Fletcher if you have any questions about the course.
There are no reviews yet.